Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. It enables children to understand and appreciate relationships and pattern in both number and space in their everyday lives. Through their growing knowledge and understanding, children learn to appreciate the contribution made by many cultures to the development and application of mathematics.
At St Olave’s our aims in teaching mathematics are:
- To equip pupils with the mathematics they need to become numerate.
- To develop their ability to apply mathematical skills with confidence and understanding when solving problems.
- To enable pupils to express themselves and their ideas using the language of mathematics with assurance.
- To develop positive attitudes to mathematics, recognising that mathematics can be both useful and enjoyable.
- To nurture a fascination and excitement of mathematics
- To be able to use and apply the skills in other curricular areas.
- To prepare all children for the transfer to secondary school.